Who knew that Basil had a lot of healthy benefits? Basil is an ingredient that goes well in many types of dishes. Basil is really easy to grow yourself as well. In fact, we have Basil and somehow it has lived longer then a week in the Kimbrell family! Some of the benefits of basil include the following:
- Good digestion
- Promotes healthy skin
- Diabetes management
- Detoxifies the body
- Help an upset stomach
Now those are some benefits worth throwing basil in to your dish! Below is a recipe from our team that is delicious and not to difficult!
Thai Basil Beef
1.5lbs. flank steak
2 Tbsp + 1Tsp avocado oil or olive oil
2 Tsp arrowroot or corn starch
Salt and pepper to taste
½ white onion, sliced very thin
1 red bell pepper, seeds and core removed, sliced very thin
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 thai chilies, sliced very thin or a ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ Cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
1 Tbsp red boat fish sauce
1 Cup basil, packed
1. Using a meat mallet, pound out the flank steak to about a ½ inch thick
2. Making sure to use a very sharp knife, slice the meat against the grain very thin. For the
strips that are long, cut in half.
3. Place sliced steak in bowl and season with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tsp of
oil and 2 tsp of the arrow root or corn starch and toss to coat.
4. Heat skillet over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of oil when hot. Sear the meat on both sides until
golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on both sides. Do not over crowd the pan, do in small
batches. Set cooked meat on a plate to the side until all done.
5. In the same skillet, reduce heat to medium. Add the onions, garlic, bell peppers and thai
chilis and season with a little bit of salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions are tender
6. Add the beef, Coconut aminos/soy sauce and fish sauce back into the skillet. Let simmer
until the sauce thickens about 2-3 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and toss the basil into the hot stir fry until just wilted.
8. Serve while hot with rice or cauliflower rice and garnish with cilantro if desired.