Lately, I have been focusing on easy healthy weekday meals. Between juggling kids, work, house chores, we need to optimize every bit of our day. I am anti-crock pot and refuse to resort to that. No judgement for those that use it, but something about the crock pot taste does not settle well with me. This easy healthy weeknight meal is super easy and delicious, not to mention one of the healthiest things I have served my family for a weeknight meal.
Growing up, I hated cucumbers. The taste, crunch and rough outside skin. For some reason, I loved pickles though. I was about 15 before I realized a pickle was a cucumber😊 Our tastes change as we become an adult and I am grateful for that, especially since I enjoy eating healthy now. I have completely embraced cucumbers. There is actually a ton of benefits from cucumbers. Just to reference a few, I have listed them below:
- It is High in Nutrients, low in calories. To name a few, it contains vitamin c, vitamin k, magnesium, potassium and manganese!
- Cucumbers are full of Antioxidants ( These are important molecules that block oxidation, a chemical reaction that forms highly reactive atoms with unpaired electrons (aka radicals.)
- Cucumbers Promote Hydration- Composed of 98% water, it can help meet your water intake needs!
- Assist in Weight loss
- Lower Blood Sugar
- Create Regularity- Not much else to say here😊
More healthy benefits of cucumbers can be found here: Health Benefits .
My son had this meal and said, “yummy are there pickles in here!” I smiled and with a glance at Matt gave a resounding “YES THERE IS”. So here it is…a quick (literally 10 mins) dinner that you can make the night before. If you do that, just throw the feta in right before to prevent it from being soggy!
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 handful of sliced pepperocini’s
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup feta crumbles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Pita bread, for serving
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Just cut all of the vegetables up in a bowl.Throw in the dressing and feta and serve up with a pita . This healthy dish is amazing leftovers as a salad for lunch. Add this to your repertoire of health weeknight meals! I found this recipe originally here: Original Recipe .
As always, eating healthy is just one part of a well rounded lifestyle. Staying active and visiting your chiropractor is another layer to keep you feeling your best ! Check our our hours here and even schedule! Schedule Online .