Broccoli Cheddar Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
Broccoli Cheese Sauce
- ½ lb. frozen broccoli florets
- 3 Tbsp butter or ghee
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour, coconut flour or almond flour
- 3 cups whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ Tsp salt
- ¼ Tsp garlic powder
- 6 oz medium cheddar, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash potatoes well, then dry. Use a fork to prick several holes in the skin of each potato. Pour the olive oil into a small dish, then use your hands to coat each potato in the oil. Place the oiled potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet, generously season with salt. Bake the potatoes for 45-60 minutes, or until tender all the way through.
- Take the broccoli out of the freezer and allow it to thaw as the potatoes bake. Once thawed, roughly chop the broccoli into small pieces and then set aside until ready to use.
- When the potatoes are almost done baking go ahead and start the cheese sauce. Add the butter and flour to a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Whisk the butter and flour together as they melt. Let the mixture bubble, whisking continuously. Cook for about one minute but do not let the flour brown.
- Whisk the milk into the butter and flour mixture. Bring the milk up to a simmer, continue stirring, you will see it start to thicken. When its thick enough to coat the whisk, turn the heat down to low. Add in the salt and garlic powder and stir.
- Add the shredded cheddar a handful at the time. Whisk in each handful until it is melted before adding more. Once all cheddar has been melted into sauce add in the chopped broccoli. Leave sauce on low stirring occasionally to keep warm.
- When the potatoes are cooked through carefully slice open. Put on serving plate and ladle the broccoli and cheese sauce over each potato. Garnish with extra cheddar cheese if desired.